Older part of Brist was located underneath the mountain Biokovo, but it was abandoned in 19th century, and a new one was built alongside the coast.
The area was inhabited in prehistoric times, which is proved by the remains from the Bronze and Iron Iron Age.
The place is mentioned for the first time in 1571. In the old part is a decorated tombstone, ruins of baroque church of sv. Margarita and a birthplace of poet Fr. Andrija Kačić Miočić (1704-1760).
In the new part lies the church of sv. Margarita built in 1870. and a church of st. Ante Padovanski from 1807.